By: Denise Ferreira, CPT & EIC
*This article is in paid partnership with Vaughan Mills Mall
Active wear for women has seen so many changes over the last decade. “athleisure” began as a fashion trend, focusing more on the overall ‘look’ of athletic wear on women and although this is still ‘trendy’ the focus of the retailers have had a major shift over the past few years. Active lifestyles are here to stay and instead of focusing on trendy fashions, retailers such as adidas, Nike, Reebok, Lululemon are focusing on creating apparel that is made for movement…FINALLY!
As much as women still want fashionable active wear, the priority when selecting what to wear comes down to comfort, support and durability. It’s no longer about it looking great on a hanger and more about “will these keep up with me during boot camp”
As the retailers focus on creating apparel made for specific movements the education around what to wear during workouts is something we felt that needed to be brought to light. What you would wear to a hot yoga session is not what you would wear to a CrossFit class. Shoes made for running are not meant to be worn for weight training.
We’ve partner up with Vaughan Mills Mall to give you our top Athletic /Active wear picks and recommendations that can all be found at Vaughan Mills Mall at very affordable prices for any type of activity you do.
How to shop for active wear!
Sports Bras: Shopping for sports bras can be one of the trickiest, because you don’t know you’ll like them until you actually wear it through a workout and see how it hold ups (literally speaking). When looking for sports bras you have to consider 2 things: 1) The type of activity you are doing. High impact versus low impact, because the support for high and low impact are designed very differently and 2) how ‘tight’ you like it. Bras are available in so many different styles- cupped, non-cupped, padded or non-padded. It comes down to your preference of comfort and support needed depending on your size.
Shoes: There are different shoes for different activities. Running, Cross training, Lifting, CrossFit, walking, biking, trail running and hiking. Each of these shoes is built specifically to sustain and support the activity. Your shoes are the most important item when it comes to active wear. Your shoes provide the most support to your form, structure and posture. Not wearing the right shoes is probably one of the biggest causes of knee injury. When shopping for your workout shoes, what you will be using them for is key.
Leggings/Shirts: Shopping for apparel really comes down to 1 thing: material. Style and fit is personal preference but the material you choose is key-Can it withstand sweat? We recommended our top picks below
Here are our top picks!
adidas- Editors Choice for top kicks!
adidas Ultraboost: These high-performance neutral running shoes deliver unrivaled comfort and energy return. The lightweight and propulsive shoes have a seamless knit upper that’s engineered with motion weave technology to provide stretch while also holding your foot in place while you run.
adidas Solar LT Trainer: Versatile enough for a variety of workouts, these shoes are made for the athlete who mixes up barbell exercises one day with agility drills or speedwork the next.
adidas PureBOOST DPR: Made for running and cross training, these versatile shoes have a breathable knit upper
Nike Active Wear:
- Nike Pro Tight Fit Leggings (Training & Running)
- Nike Indy Sports Bra & Nike Alpha Sports Bra
- Epic Run Tight
- Nike Running Dry Fit Tee
- Nike Free TR8- Women’s Training Shoe features a rounded toe box and flexible outsole that bends with your foot throughout your workout.
- Nike Air Zoom Pegasus: A full-length Zoom Air unit provides light, responsive cushioning, while engineered mesh and Flywire cables lock in the fit for a supportive ride. Running Shoe
Reebok Active Wear
- PUREMOVE Sports Bra
- Training Essentials Tank
- LUX Training Tights
- Reebok CrossFit Nano 8: Since 2010, Reebok has forged the Nano through sweat, testing, re-designing and re-testing to create the most versatile and dependable CrossFit shoe in the box. The Nano 8 was developed with insight from the CrossFit community, and has been engineered for maximum comfort.
- Reebok Sweet Road 2: Go the distance in this shoe’s long, steady uphill heritage. Speed work and uptempo mileage are no match for you with the innovative KooshRide Core foam under your foot. The KooshRide Core foam is engineered to be long-lasting, so your ride is just as responsive at mile 300 as it is at mile 1
- Reebok Float Ride Run Ultraknit: Floatride Run, Reebok’s first women’s running shoe featuring lightweight Floatride Foam. You’ll love the one-piece Ultraknit upper, engineered to help offer support and breathable flexibility for a distraction-free distance run from mile 1-300.
Asics Gel-Nimbius 20– A smooth, comfortable ride that’s 20 years in the making. Packed with our revolutionary lightweight FlyteFoam® cushioning, FluidRide® Midsole and discreet eyelet construction, the Nimbus caters to neutral runners of all levels.
Asics Gel-Kayano 25: Designed for a lightweight ride, the GEL-KAYANO women’s running shoe guarantees maximum comfort and stability. FLYTEFOAM® technology employs organic super fibers that resist compression, providing enduring bounce on even the longest runs
From Yoga to Cross-Training, Lululemon offers a variety of active wear that meets almost every activity! These are our top Picks:
- In Movement Tight (Cross Training Tight)
- Align Pants ( Yoga Only)
- Fast & Free Tight (Runners Tight)
- Free to be Tank Nulu
- Swifty Tech Racerback Tank
- Up for it Bra
Under Armour Active wear
- Heat Gear Tight
- Armour Bra
Under Armour Kicks
- UA Speedfoam Sling Wrap: For runners who need a balance of flexibility & cushioning
- UA SlingFlex Rise: Fully knit upper for a breathable, compression-like fit that delivers lightweight directional strength
SHOP VAUGHAN. MILLS: FOR MORE INFORMATION VISIT THE VAUGHAN MILLS WEBSITE