+Recipe for Healthy Carrot & Zucchini Loaf
By: Denise Ferreira
Ever wonder what makes baked goods considered to be healthy versus not healthy?
It comes down to the ingredients; are they natural or processed ingredients? do they have health benefits? was it made using healthy fats or processed, chemically cultured fats?
Many times we get caught up in the calories or macro break down of what we are eating, and although managing your daily calories is important, what is equally as important it what makes up those calories. You can choose to have a 200 calorie chocolate bar that serves no nutritional value or you can choose to have a slice a healthy loaf (like the recipe below for Carrot & Zucchini Loaf) that provides your body with a whole bunch of nutrients like fiber, omegas, protein, vitamins and minerals.
When baking, replacing processed ingredients with natural ones is a lot easier then you think. Pintrest and google are your friends in finding great natural and healthier alternatives.
Speaking about healthy baked goods, try this delicious Carrot & Zucchini Loaf that is jam packed with goodness for your body and soul!
150 Calories per serving |20g Carbs |5g Fat |5g Protein
- 1 cup Oats
- 1.5 cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 2 Eggs
- 1/4 cup Coconut Oil (melted)
- 1 cup unsweetened cashew or almond milk
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- 2tbsp sugar (monk-fruit sugar is great)
- 1tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1tbsp ground flax
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees, grease & line a loaf pan with parchment paper
- In a small bowl, mix all the dry ingredients and set aside
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, honey, coconut oil, vanilla and sugar
- Add zucchini & carrots, using a spatula mix together until combined
- Add 1/2 of the dry mix, mix well and then add cashew/almond milk, stir until combined
- add the other half of the dry mix and mix well.
- Pour into baking ban, using a spatula to even the batter
- Optional: sprinkle top with oats
- bake for 45-50 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.